This strawberry cake recipe comes from Little Everyday Cakes by Candace Floyd (Blue Hills Press, 2023). Enjoy!
- 1¾ cups fresh or frozen strawberries thawed and drained (divided, 1½ cups whole, ¼ cup sliced)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 7 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 3 egg whites room temperature
- ¾ cup whole milk room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cream cheese frosting Double recipe
- Small fresh strawberries Sliced (optional)
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz. cream cheese softened
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1½ cup confectioner's sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease two 6-inch round cake pans. Line the pans with parchment paper. Grease the parchment. Dust the pans with flour.
- Combine 1½ cups strawberries (210g) and the water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and boil 5 minutes, until beginning to thicken. Let cool 15 minutes.
- Whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Place the butter in a mixing bowl, and using an electric mixer at medium-high speed, beat until creamy. Add the sugar and beat until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the egg whites one at a time, and beat until well combined. Reduce the speed to low, and add the flour mixture and milk a little at a time, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat until just smooth. Add the vanilla, and beat 30 seconds. Fold in the cooked strawberries and the ¼ cup sliced strawberries. The batter will be thin. Scrape into the prepared pans.
- Bake the cakes 35 to 40 minutes, until a tester inserted into the center comes out almost clean. Place the pans on a wire rack, and let the cakes cool 10 minutes. Remove the cakes from the pans, and return them, top side up, to the rack to cool completely.
- Place one layer on a plate or cake stand. Frost the top with about one-third of the Cream Cheese Frosting. Place the second layer on top, and frost the top and sides of the cake. Decorate the sides of the cake with the small sliced strawberries, if using.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- Combine the cream cheese and butter in a mixing bowl, and beat with a hand mixer until blended. Add the confectioner’s sugar a little at a time, beating until blended. Add the vanilla and salt, and beat until blended. If the mixture is too thick, add a teaspoon or two of milk. If you want a thicker frosting, add more confectioner’s sugar.
To see more delicious recipes, visit our archives!