If you are a Home student, you can apply for Postgraduate Doctoral Loan from the UK government to help with course fees and living costs while you study a postgraduate doctoral course, such as a PhD.

See an estimate of costs for living in London as an Imperial student.

There’s different funding if you normally live in Wales.

The loan will not be available if:

  • you have or will receive Research Council funding which includes stipends and or tuition fee support
  • you are receiving a social work bursary
  • you are eligible to apply for an NHS Bursary
  • you are still studying another course and are in receipt of payments from Student Finance
  • you already have a doctoral degree or equivalent/higher qualification
  • you are receiving a doctorate by publication
  • you are behind in repayments for any previous loans from Student Loans Company

Loan amount

Students studying doctoral courses starting on or after 1 August 2023 can get up to £28,673.

The loan is not means-tested, so it doesn't matter what your household income is.

Back to top of page

How to apply

Students who normally live in England should apply via Student Finance England.

If you’ve taken out a loan with Student Finance England before, use your account to apply. If you do not already have one, set up an account.

If you're a Home student living elsewhere, you should apply to your regional funding body.

Back to top of page

Check if you're eligible

Explore information about eligibility for this loan on Gov.uk.

Back to top of page

EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals

EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals starting courses on or after 1 August 2021 must have settled or pre-settled status in the UK under the EU Settlement Scheme to be able to apply for this type of financial support.

Visit the EU Settlement Scheme information guide for more information.

This does not apply to students who are Irish citizens living in the UK or Ireland, who are automatically treated as settled in the UK and do not need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to benefit from the right to UK student finance. 

For full information on the nationality or residency status requirement for this type of financial support, please see the Gov.uk website.

Back to top of page

How the loan is paid

The loan is paid directly to you.

It will be divided equally across each year of your course.

Back to top of page

Repaying your loan

You have to repay your loan, but only once you:

  • have left university
  • are in employment
  • are earning over a certain amount

Find out more about repaying your loans.

Back to top of page