DATE: Various dates
TICKETS: Free (Registration in advance)
AGE: Imperial Lates are most suitable for over 18s.
Join our email mailing list to receive our monthly event highlights and the latest updates on public events at Imperial College London including Imperial Lates.
Imperial Lates: Romance & Reproduction
8 February 2024, 18.00-21.00
Grab your gals, pals, a mate or even a date and head to the next Imperial Lates! In this Valentine’s Day and LGBT+ History Month special, science gets sexy as we delve into attraction, intimacy and procreation. Explore the mysteries of human reproductive health and animal sexual selection through thought-provoking discussions, workshops and talks that challenge conventional norms.
Drop in any time between 6-9pm to:
- Sharpen your origami skills and create the perfect Valentine’s Day card for a nerdy loved one inspired by kisspeptin, our body’s own love hormone.
- Join the founder of the Vagina Museum and the rest of our expert panel discussing the importance of increasing awareness of anatomy and eradicating stigmas around bodies.
- Test your knowledge with a quiz celebrating LGBT+ History Month, brought to you by Imperial’s very own network for LGBTQIA+ staff and allies.
- Uncover the science behind sexual desire with a captivating talk on hormones that regulate our deepest desires.
- Explore the fascinating world of same-sex behaviour in monkeys in Puerto Rico, shedding light on the spectrum of love in the animal kingdom.
- Learn about sexual health from scientists and health care practitioners or participate in games that shed light on polygamous sparrows or gene inheritance in sickle cell disease.
- Immerse yourself in the beats of our talented DJ, enjoy snacks, and grab a drink from the bar to enhance your night of exploration and celebration. We will have alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks available.
Content warnings: This evening will cover mature themes and some content will cover issues around fertility and infertility.
Imperial Lates are intended for an 18+ audience.
Register for this Imperial Lates to receive a preview of the full programme of live demonstrations, workshops and talks, and help us track attendance numbers. Please note that registration alone does not guarantee seats for our talks or workshops.
All of the spaces are wheelchair accessible, as are the entrance and toilets. There are lifts to any activities on other levels. If you have any specific needs, please don't hesitate to get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Imperial Lates
Imperial Lates are fun and social post-work events where visitors can interact with the latest scientific developments at Imperial College London, centred around a new theme for each evening.
The 2023/24 season began in November and runs until March, exploring the following themes:
- Future Food: 9 November 2023
- Space: 7 December 2023
- Romance & Reproduction: 8 February 2024
- Artificial Intelligence: 14 March 2024
What to expect?
Check out some photos from our past evenings of discovery!
Get creative making crafts © Brendan Foster Photography
Dance at an atomic silent disco © Brendan Foster Photography
Engage with interactive exhibits © Brendan Foster Photography
Experience artistic collaborations © Brendan Foster Photography
Socialise with friends © Brendan Foster Photography
Want to get involved?
Imperial researchers are invited to submit ideas for taking part in the Lates via an Open Call. If you are an artist or facilitator interested in working with the Imperial Lates team, please get in touch via email (email@example.com)
If you are an Imperial staff member or student interested in signing up to volunteer at Imperial Lates, register your interest via this form to receive more information. Learn more about volunteering with the public engagement team.